Friday, November 22, 2013

Where was I?


 Today is, of course, the 50th anniversary of the killing of a famous president.

I remember precisely where I was when I heard the news, and how.

I was seated at my desk at the Tech Lab at Cape Canaveral, Florida, mulling over programs for which I was responsible. At some time after 1:30 pm the loud speaker announced that President Kennedy had been assassinated. The memory of me at my desk is from left and above, meaning my right hemisphere, the emotional, places me there.

I remember the funeral. I was in front of a small television in a converted porch in our tiny Wherry housing cinder block house at Patrick Air Force Base. The caisson passed by in front of me, and I numbly remember, again upper left view, knowing our world had changed, and not for the better.

It has not. The haters still hate and gloat.

They now infest a diminishing group who deny equality for every man and woman, who do not acknowledge what Kennedy was trying to do: to make everyone capable of realizing the American dream.  We should all be able to make a living at an income by which we may survive in what we consider adequate, by our efforts, have affordable healthcare, and a peaceful retirement.

Those people still try to deny that president his due.

Shame!

No comments:

Post a Comment