The circus is a mystery thing. A field becomes a city of gently swaying canvas envelopes. Why they visit us is a secret they will not tell, if they know. But go quickly into the magic darkness unafraid. Wish the unwishable, believe the unbelievable. Memorize the sights, the sounds, the smells—by dawn, the wispy city becomes a field again.
There were colorful posters and billboards on every flat surface available, advertising the Circus Mystique.
WONDERFUL! COLOSSAL! WONDERS OF THE WORLD! SEE THE BIG CATS PERFORM TRICKS IN THE CENTER RING—PURPLE GROSS, THE LONGBILLED SNOOZE, SIX PERFORMING JOGANOTS, DOZENS OF TALENTED JACKALOPES! AN AMAZING MENAGERIE WITH DOGS, NORWAY RATS, MICE, CHIPMUNKS, ELEPHANT SHREWS, AROM: THE WORLD’S LARGEST SNAKE, AND MANY OTHERS!
The black-and-white outlines were filled with red, yellow, and blue, showing each beast in highly unlikely poses—a joganot on a tightrope? A joganot was a large herbivore that ate its weight in vegetation each day. Many homes had a pet joganot instead of a kitchen disposal unit. They also pulled wagons if wearing a feed bag. The purple gross was a bird to be avoided because it had never been potty trained, and the long-billed snooze slept during the day and caught insects at night. Its wings beat so quickly that it could be heard as a whoosh above in the black sky.
This performance will include the following:
1. The Grand Entrance Parade. The Circus Mystique is proud to welcome each and every one of you.
2. Danger in the Cat Cage. In the center ring, within a cage of steel, these wild beasts perform amazing tricks such as jumping through a hoop of flame!
3. The Riding Gelatos. In ring number one, Papa Gelato oversees seven of the finest jackalopes doing superb dances, while in ring number three, Eve Gelato supervises her children riding bareback, doing flips and whirls on their jackalopes.
4. The Flying Maidens. High above you, our aerial chorus line dances and cavorts for your pleasure while dangling from ropes high above the arena.
5. Here Come the Clowns. Mayhem in the arena as our masters of fun amuse one and all.
6. Bring on the Dogs. In all three rings, watch and be amazed by their seriously silly antics.
7. The Elephant Shrews. In the center ring, these amazingly graceful animals will astound you with their dancing and high jinks!
8. The Wire of Death. In the stratosphere above the center ring, the Abasheds Quintet will defy the danger of the high wire for your approval.
9. Six Performing Joganots. These gentle giants, having astonishing dexterity, perform in the center ring.
10. Great Jumping Gerbils. In all three rings, watch these graceful beauties leap or climb through a variety of hoops,runs, and ladders.
Following the Intermission:
1. Clown Alley. Here they are again with more hilarious misadventures.
2. The Big Bang. Shot from a cannon in ring number one, watch Tony Toledo land in the net in ring number three! Do not try this at home!
3. The Supremes. This is the finest trapeze act of all time, right above your heads!
4. Rodeo. Throughout the arena, watch these trick riders try to outperform each other.
5. Ballet in the Sky. A lavish production of aerialists who defy the laws of gravity, accompanied by the world’s only performing goldfinches.
6. Menagerie Madness. You saw them in cages and dens, now see the unbelievable dexterity they have racing and prancing in all three rings. Cats! Dogs! Gerbils! Rabbits!
7. Ring Toss. In all three rings, we present the most famous jugglers of our day.
8. Scramble. Clowns, jugglers, rope skippers, chipmunks, and rabbits everywhere!
9. Mystique. The moment you’ve been waiting for. The one, the only Professor Mystique will perform magical spells and pose questions without answers in the center ring.
10. The Circus on Parade. In a fond farewell to you all, the entire cast and our beloved animals circle the arena.
Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, Xlibris.com, www.GreatImagination.com, The Bookshelf, Mt. Pleasant, Mi.